Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Day 9: My Magic Words

9 Days until Nationals! 

I've flip-flopped a lot this season with motivation. I had a really rough first semester and was often forced to put swimming low on my priority list. That was a huge struggle for me because swimming is my exercise outlet, my escape, and a huge part of my world. 

As I've fought to clear my head before Nationals, I drew inspiration from a few SwimSwam articles. One of my favorites details the truths of being a fast swimmer. This article was a huge mental re-adjustment for me.  

It talks about how each swimmer will get different results from the exact same training. I've been really anxious about being properly tapered for Nationals so this one really hit home. Some of my teammates have their taper down to a science over the years. Honestly, I don't know if I've ever properly tapered in my swim career. Reading this helped me understand that the perfect taper doesn't work for everyone. What is a foolproof method for one of my teammates might have the opposite effect on my races and that's okay. 

The article goes onto to talk about how the fastest swimmers are the ones who consistently work and never give up on their training. I think swimming is unique in the intensity of training required for success. I often get frazzled when I have an off-day at practice. Whether it's something about my stroke that doesn't feel quite right or I'm just plain exhausted, I easily get worked up that I'm doing something wrong. 

From this article, I developed a motto with two magic words: Consistency, Resilience. 

I've actually written these words out to hang them over my door. They serve as a constant reminder that a bad practice doesn't mean I'm destined for a bad season. They encourage me to push forward with my training even when I'm starting to lose sight of my goals. The best swimmers are the ones that are always show up for practice and work. 

I've been saying those words to myself quite often in the days leading up to Nationals and it's been working. I'm keeping my focus on my goal of a top 3 finish, and I've been doing what's necessary to get there even if it means early practice or extra stretching to take care of my body. I'm staying resilient with my training despite my still-sprained ankle. I'm consistently working in and outside of the pool to prepare for Nationals. My motto is working and I feel better about competing each day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment