Monday, May 4, 2015

Post-Nationals Workouts

Since Nationals is over, I've been able to have a normal sleeping and eating schedule again. I've been in the pool significantly less however, which has definitely had an effect on me mentally and physically.

This week I started running and swimming because I needed to be working out again. I have this mantra in my head on repeat that says "You're a national qualifier. You need to start training like one." Truth is, I don't want to get out of shape, but being out of season allows me to shift my priorities to exams and newsroom work rather than pool time. I love training, but it tends to take over my whole life. There's a reason you don't find too many swimmers working full time in a newsroom. It's hard work to balance.

So as I began my rude awakening back into semi-regular workouts, I turned to this SwimSwam article for guidance. I'm a retired runner so my go-to dryland is to run. Even though I've suffered multiple injuries from running, it's still built into my muscle memory after years on the soccer field/track.

I cap my running for now between 1.5-2.5 miles.  It's not a lot, but I don't want to risk injuring myself. Dry land is a tough battle for me, but I look forward to finding new ways to work out outside of the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment