Friday, January 30, 2015

Pre-meet rituals

This week is the first travel meet of the spring season for Mizzou Swim Club. Fourteen of us are traveling to Kansas State University. As we trek down I-70, I spoke to my teammates Leann, Paul and Jack about what gets them ready to compete in a meet.

Paul and myself agreed that music is a must-have before a swim meet. Topping Paul's get-psyched mix are selections from the techno and rap persuasion. My favorite pump-up song so far this season is "Till I Collapse" by Eminem. It's a classic.

Jack, on the other hand, chooses to prepare for the meet from the inside-out. He tries to eat as little as possible on the day of the meet. While this may work for Jack, not every person's body works the same way. I prefer to eat consistently throughout a meet. Food and I are very good friends.

We closed the conversation talking about our excitement for the weekend. Leann is excited just to be back in the pool with the team. We all agreed because this team is like our family, and there's nothing we would rather do than spend every waking moment together. For more about the team culture of swimming, check out my post from last week.

I'll post results and pictures from the weekend as we head to the pool tomorrow. For now, the road to Manhattan, Kansas, is long and flat, and we're getting hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment